I think you're onto something here, because Focardi once said that Rossi's
contribution was to introduce a "catalyst" (probably Tungsten) that split
H2 gas into H1 gas before being loaded into the reactor.  This started a
pre-LENR reaction of the H1 gas recombining into H2 gas inside the Nickel
substrate in an ENDOTHERMIC reaction.  It also, IIRC, generates a small x
ray.  It basically helped get the LENR process going.

Rossi turned the backwater NiH LENR effort that almost no one could
replicate into a high COP, high replicability field.  But almost no one
believed it.

The way I look at it is that the H1 recombination to H2 endothermic
reaction introduced a very temporary RELATIVE Bose-Einstein Condensate in a
small group of atoms inside the Nickel and generated a fusion event.
Recall my V1DLLBEC theory.   Vibrating 1 Dimensional Luttinger Liquid
Bose-Einstein-Condensate theory. The V1DLLBEC theory.

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-
href=”mailto:l...@eskimo.com”>l...@eskimo.com
<http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-%3Ca>/msg89708.html

  So in a very small condensed matter space, you've got endothermic
chemistry, BEC, fusion, breakdown of fusion products into the substrate and
reactor sides including possibly fission, and heat.  Very complicated, very
hard to control, and such a mixed-body heat soup would give off confusing
readings.