You can get high electric fields at small scale, but that is not the same
as having a total electric potential of 500kV.  In a vacuum, a 500kV
potential can generate 500keV electrons.

It is interesting to think about in light of our recent measurement of high
energy emissions from the Ni-H reaction.  If the Ni-H reaction really does
generate MeV class electrons, they could be useful in the reactor for
transmutations.  Imagine coating the inside of the tube with something you
wanted to transmute.  Then you adjust the reaction for maximum
Bremsstrahlung and get maximum transmutations.