Oh, I dunno, if you model the universe as a simulation you can attempt to
make some assumptions about how the simulation substrate is structured.
Once you have that, you can think about ways of 'piercing the veil'.   You
can also leverage the model to make more consistent theories about way
things work.

I don't think it's an idle speculation.