From: Jed Rothwell
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2016 2:50 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Re: Let's continue to think about passive vs active approach
to LENR 's existentil problems

Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

  IMHO you seem to select those folks who you want to believe, and distrust
those that seem to support Rossi’s comments.

It may seem so to you, but you are wrong. I have met with and worked with many
people who worked with Rossi -- or tried to work with him. People from the
Navy, NASA and elsewhere, and also venture capitalists. I know a lot about
their interactions. I am not free to describe everything I know, but I believe
what they told me, and based on this information, I do not trust Rossi and I
think he is incompetent. This is not what I "want to believe." It is a
conclusion I reached carefully after many years and dozens of conversations,
e-mails, formal reports, proposals and so on.

Frankly, I resent it when you claim this is what I "want" to believe, and when
others here say I am jumping to conclusions based on thin evidence. Why the
hell would I "want" to conclude that I.H. wasted $11 million?!? Schadenfreude?
Do you think I want to see the last, best hope for funding cold fusion
destroyed? After devoting years of my life to this effort, do you think I
"want" to see millions of dollars wasted?

You have no idea what I know or who I have talked to. You have no basis for
making these assertions. Furthermore, if you know me, you will know that I am
very careful about judging people or experiments, and I bend over backwards to
give people the benefit of the doubt. I do not jump to conclusion. But I also
do not deny overwhelming evidence from dozens of people describing Rossi's
behavior. I spent three days at a conference talking informally with the people
from NASA who Rossi almost killed. I know what happened, in detail. I know
about the financial support they were offering him. That incident alone proves
that Rossi is grossly irresponsible, incompetent, a loose cannon, and either
crazy or criminal. You need to get a grip and think about what he did:

He seriously endangered people's lives.

He got angry and denied it when they showed him the pipe was clogged and there
was high pressure steam leaking out of the welded joints.

He and everyone in the room evacuated when it became apparent there was no
safety valve.

They later opened the reactor and proved it had been on the verge of an
explosion.

He refused to do the test again properly!

When they told him they could not pay him millions of dollars as discussed,
because he would not do a test, he became infuriated and he threw them out.

Rossi has done this sort of thing time after time, not just with this group but
with others. This is only one example out of many. Based on this incident
alone, he has no credibility and nothing he says can be believed.

The people at I.H., on the other hand, have loads of credibility. If they say
the 1-year test produced no excess heat, and Rossi says it produced 50 times
input, I believe them. I have abundant, well-grounded reasons for believing
them. It is not a conclusion that I jumped to the day the lawsuit was announced.