On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 7:01 AM, a.ashfield <a.ashfi...@verizon.net> wrote:

The fact remains he is wrong.  There are numerous cases where LENR has been
> proved.   Pons & Fleischmann produced excess heat in the famous 1989
> experiment let alone later.  The diehards won't accept that.

I agree that Tom is wrong about LENR, but not as wrong as people think.
When he points out weaknesses in prior experiment, often they are genuine
weaknesses that should be remedied and that cast some amount of doubt on
the conclusions of the experiment.  I've walked Tom through the experiments
by Mosier-Boss et al., and he has made many good points.  I still find the
SPAWAR experiments very interesting, and he does not.  That's his
prerogative.  But if the SPAWAR team had had time to include a rigorous
statistical analysis along the lines he thought was required in their
papers, they would have had an even stronger experiment.  No one died as a
result of that discussion, and LENR did not go away.

Tom does not believe that LENR can be shown to exist on the basis of a
preponderance-of-evidence argument, by looking past various deficiencies
and concluding from a wide range of experiments that there must be
something despite any problems.  That's a philosophical position on his
part.  He's looking for 99 percent certainty.  Some will argue that there
are LENR experiments that surpass this bar.  I disagree.  But I'm persuaded
by a preponderance-of-evidence argument, unlike Tom, and so I don't need
such certainty to continue to take interest.

There is no need for Tom ever to accept that LENR exists.  As a quality
control guardian, he serves a very useful function.  And he gets people
thinking.

Eric