On 05/30/2016 06:11 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
Hi,
[snip]
Right, for sure, but seriously, anybody who watched Space Angel as a kid
knows you can't just let a solar mirror point anyplace it wants --
you're just asking to have your headquarters burned to a crisp while the
bad guys escape.

As I said to start with, you don't really need to point them all at the
ground.  Just deflect them a degree or so off target, each mirror going
someplace random -- that shouldn't take much energy, and is probably
something you could do with distributed backup power.
Actually, this can be problematic too, as the reflected light can temporarily
blind pilots, posing an air safety hazard.

Um ... good point.  A single 30 foot mirror still packs quite a punch.

OTOH it's still better than accidentally hitting it with the whole focussed output of the mirror field. That be like a beetle under a foot-wide Fresnel lens -- popcorn airplane.

In any case, in the scenario which actually happened there wasn't any
lightning strike, power wasn't lost, and it was a lot more like the
meltdown at Chernobyl, where the technicians intentionally put the thing
into a bad state for testing and then bad stuff happened. If the thing
had a 'defocussed' mode one could even imagine spotting a few
temperature sensors around the towers to automatically shut it down in
the case of poor aim.  Just because it's not radioactive doesn't mean
it's not dangerous.