Daniel Rocha <danieldi...@gmail.com> wrote:

How will economy improve if people are simply not buying? And it will be
> much more costly. I am thinking about 90% of unemployment.

Come, come. Why stop at 90%? Think 100% unemployment. Now imagine billions
of robotic machines using cold fusion energy to churn out food in food
factories, iron from ore in the earth, precious metals from asteroids,
self-driving automobiles in unlimited quantities, consumer goods enough to
give every person on earth a U.S. standard of living, and enough generators
to produce 50,000 GWe (10 times more than we now use).

Does anyone doubt this would be physically possible? Even with today's
technology plus cold fusion, we could accomplish this, while at the same
time we could eliminate nearly all pollution and reduce the amount of space
needed for farms and factories by a factor of 100 or more. All of this was
predicted by Winston Churchill in 1932, and in detail by Arthur Clarke and
others in the 1960s.

What you and others seem to be saying is that even though we could
accomplish this, we cannot devise a new economic system that would allow
it. Building these machines factories would inevitably result in economic
catastrophe on the scale of 1929 from unemployment. Or it would result in
communist style slavery or gross inefficiency. We can invent the machines,
but we cannot reinvent our society or our economy in a way that would make
good use of the machines. They would end up causing more misery, suffering
and dislocation. So I guess we better not make those machines . . .

I say that's nonsense!. People are capable of reinventing technology,
society, government, economics, and all other institutions. We have done
this time after time. There are no permanent solutions. What works well in
one era may not work in the next, so it must be reformed or replaced. But
we can always do this. We can be as creative with economics as we are with
technology.

People say that economics follow iron rules that cannot be defied. Supply
and demand, for example. When you introduce a minimum wage, this distorts
the system, resulting in less economic efficiency. I say yes it does, but
so what? We do not demand maximum efficiency in any other system. Economic
laws are like the laws of material strength in building materials. The
strength of lumber limits the maximum span of a wooden beam. A house must
be designed and built within the limits or it will collapse. However, a
house can be less than 100% optimal. It can have frivolous decorations that
add weight and contribute nothing to structural strength. It can have more
joists than needed, or large windows that weaken the walls. Within the
engineering limits of materials we can build completely different kinds of
houses, ranging from modern American ones, to Victorian houses, to
traditional Japanese houses. The same principle applies to an economy. We
can have vastly different kinds of economies. None will be 100% optimal,
but they will serve different purposes. Some will work with free human
labor, others with slave labor, and still others will work with robot
labor. Eventually, we need to make the economy mostly dependent on robot
labor, with the output from the labor divvied up to every person on earth.
Everyone should get enough to live comfortably. If a small number of
wealthy people get far more than enough, that will not matter, as long as
they do not cause harm.