Horace Heffner wrote:

On Jan 21, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Taylor J. Smith wrote:

Source: David de Hilster ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

``Dr. Domina Eberle Spencer still has the raw data from
the Hafele- Keating experiment (atomic clocks on planes
in 1972) which she examined in 1996 and concluded that
that data to prove Einstein was fabricated.  She is a
brilliant mathematician and has agreed to be interviewed
on the subject for our documentary film.

That should be an interesting film, but I doubt anything substantive would be put on film. I hope she publishes. Without the critical data, it is not possible to reach any conclusions. In fact, even with the data, the only conclusion might be there is a need for more data.

Since last posting to this thread, I've read one paper deconstructing the H-K experiment and read a bit more about the topic in general.

It appears to me that the H-K experiment was indeed BOGUS. It wasn't supposed to be that way -- the intent of the researchers was apparently pure -- but in the end it suffered from "Not Enough Rats" syndrome.

This problem is common in biology and the social sciences but unusual in a physics experiment. Here's a sketch of how it happens in a biology lab:

A researcher whom we'll call Bob wants to determine the effect of diet on the neurotransmitter Poodlecatamousitine. He understands statistics well enough to analyze his results with no difficulty, but is none the less a little shaky on the use of statistics during the experimental design phase (this is all too common, don't say it doesn't happen!). But he _guesses_ that 20 rats in each of his two experimental groups and 20 more in the control group should produce a clear enough result.

But rats are expensive, grant money's tight, and he decides he can make do with just 10 rats in each group.

But three of the rats get Rat Flue and check out before the end of the experiment, there's an air conditioner failure and two more shuffle off this mortal coil, ALF raiders get several more, and one of the "male" rats gets pregnant and is disqualified. Two others refuse to eat the special diet and are also disqualified.

They get to the end of the experiment, and it's time to gather data. But the only way to get good readings on Poodlecatamousitine levels is to sacrifice the rats in total darkness, by beheading them while they sleep, and then take brain slices (don't laugh; I knew someone who had to do exactly this in a rat experiment). Unfortunately the grad students find this difficult to carry out. One gets bitten and yells, waking up several rats; they're disqualified. Two rats get mixed up in the dark, and so they're out, too. And one of the "brain slices" turns out to contain almost nothing but human finger tissue, and so it's no good.

In the end Bob has data for 4 test rats in group A, 5 in group B, and just three control rats. The "large effect" he hoped to obtain turns out to be a difference of just 2% in the levels, and it's ... **Not Statistically Significant**. Oops. But this represents months of work, so maybe Bob publishes anyway.

Back to the H-K experiment...

H-K flew 4 clocks around the world, but it appears that they should have used several times that number. It seems that portable cesium clocks are not the paragons of reliability I had thought they were and the clock drift rates -- and rates of change in the drift rates! -- were erratic and large compared with the effect being measured. All but one of the clocks they used showed large (and obvious) changes in drift rates, and the last clock, which didn't _obviously_ have a large change in drift rate (but may none the less have changed drift rate more than once during the flights), didn't show the Sagnac effect. I don't know if it's possible to do a good stat test on their results but the discussion I read made it sound like their results would not have gotten over the bar had they been properly analyzed.

H-K apparently chose to publish anyway, and in fact, they supposedly didn't release their raw data until a very long time after the paper was published. That's always a red flag, of course -- if there's nothing to hide, there's no reason not to release the raw data. In this case it appears to me that the experiment really proved nothing either way except to show that, if we want to test this effect using that method, either better clocks or more clocks are needed, or they need to use much faster aircraft (the magnitude of the predicted effect doesn't change if you go faster, but the noise level would be reduced).