From: Jones Beene
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:48 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Could the future that started out as cold fusion be ...
tada... thorium fission ?

 Axil Axil wrote:
The text covered by the picture as follows:

,,, metallic hydrogen  produces reactions at a distance. This was shown in the
exploding wire experiments where uranium was fissioned in a separate chamber
isolated from the exploding wire by a glass wall.

I missed the citation for this? However, it does sound very much like what I am
suggesting but using thorium instead of uranium as the target of muon
production.

The beauty of muon-induced fusion is that you do not need to be concerned about
critical mass and hunreds of tons of reactant, lots of moderators and an
optimal neutron economy etc - all of which require a large form factor

In fact, with muon induced fission, the thorium fuel can actually be mixed with
boron to immediately convert free neutrons into energy before thorium can
absorb them. We want to avoid any proliferation risk. Smaller would be better.

Of course, LENR is preferable since it promises small devices with no
radioactivity at all, but that may not materialize as quickly as a larger form
factor, which is intermediate between grid power and home power. The
requirement for gamma shielding is still there .... with any kind of fission or
hot fusion, but one can imagine many applications for medium-sized power plants
and large vehicles which can accommodate adequate shielding - locomotives,
earth movers and boats. This could happen years or decades sooner with thorium
fission than LENR can be perfected and introduced.

Let's face it - there is no operational LENR today, nothing even close thanks
to Rossigate -- and yet we had operational thorium reactors in 1965 (the MSRE
at Oak Ridge) but that design was doomed from the start (by needing enough
fissile inventory to make a bomb, which is the main thing that muon-induced
fission avoids).

I think there is a place for this technology - assuming of course that Holmlid
is correct.