Article in the Economist arguing against intellectual property rights.

http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21660753-our-leader-patents-1851-right-property-inventions

Feb 1st, 1851

The right of property in inventions

WE ARE challenged by some observations in the Morning Chronicle of
Wednesday to resume the consideration of the claims of inventors. We have
as strong a desire as our contemporary, or as the Committee of the Society
of Arts, whose views he expounds, that genius should meet its appropriate
rewards—that invention should be encouraged—that discoverers of useful
things should be honoured—that no thought permanently beneficially should
be lost; but we cannot, therefore, conclude that inventors should have a
monopoly for a limited period of certain published thoughts and plans,
which they may have been the first to conceive.

continues here
http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21660753-our-leader-patents-1851-right-property-inventions