I searched for the Economist article from 1851 after I heard the labour
economist Guy Standing mention it in this recent discussion at DAVOS at
22:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5n4j8-zUE4

Guy Standing points out that intellectual property is part of rentier
Capitalism. He cites the Economist article because it argues that such
rights are not really rights but are in fact privileged forms of income or
rent determined by legislation rather than by free markets. However,
instead of doing away with such privileged forms of income as the Economist
argues, I think Guy's point is that the government ought to be
redistributing some of this rental income back to the wider society in the
form of a basic income.

Harry