Chris Zell <chrisz...@wetmtv.com> wrote:

The greatest threat to the American way of life might be that things aren’t
> considered corrupt if they are legal.  Thus, we have ads for prescription
> drugs on TV and Congress commonly doesn’t read bills before passage.

If you are referring to Obamacare, you are emphatically wrong about that.
My daughter helped draft that law. She and others read the bill, many, many
times. She was working for a doctor's collective, which is like a union.
Members of congress may not have read the whole thing, but their staff sure
did, and so did hundreds of consultants and people working for insurance
companies, doctor's collectives, and so on. It was available on the
internet for anyone to read.

Most of it was easy to understand. Just a lot of detail. All of it that
detail was included for good reasons. Prosaic reasons. I read parts of it
that pertained to computers, and discussed it with the people drafting the
law. For example, it said that an insurance contract has to be of a limited
length. This was defined as a certain number of pages (10 pages?) when
printed on standard 8.5" x 11" paper in 12-point type. You have to spell
that sort of thing out in a law. Otherwise some insurance company might
print 8-point type (small print) in 50 pages, which is too much for the
average customer to understand.

You may not agree with the ideology of Obamacare, but you cannot say the
law is difficult to understand, or that it was withheld from the public.

Saying it was "too complicated" is a little like saying the documents &
programs that constitute the Apache Web Server are too complicated. A web
server is inherently complicated technology. It is a big system. It takes
lots of documents, specifications, details, warnings, thousands of lines of
code, review boards, and blah, blah, blah to make it work. See:

https://www.apache.org/

If we could code Apache in 200 lines of C++ and have it run faultlessly
without any maintenance . . . Well, gee, that would be great! But it
doesn't work that way. An insurance-based healthcare system will be at
least as complicated as a web server.