The smallest known star that astronomers have found is named OGLE-TR-122b. Its radius is accurately measured at 167,000 km. That makes it 20% larger than planet Jupiter but like most stars, it is radiating energy in a way which indicates that nuclear fusion has been underway for billions of years, presumably converting hydrogen into helium like our sun, only less of it, and at longer wavelength, due to the small size.

Yet today, without reference to the presence of any small star, the science news is reporting a much larger dim object has been found, not a star and more like a planet, which is 90 times more massive than Jupiter. This object is not undergoing nuclear fusion. It is called SDSS J0104+1535 and consists of more than 99.99% hydrogen and helium but without nuclear ignition, despite the enormous gravity.

It is not clear that "high purity" is an actual parameter which prohibits it from going nuclear, since it makes little sense that so much hydrogen would not ignite, as happens in the much smaller star, due to the Lawson criteria if nothing else. There is such a massive disparity in the energy released from the smaller and hotter object, compared to the much larger colder object- that great doubt is cast on many assumptions relative to nuclear fusion at the cosmological scale.

Does LENR have a place in this picture?

The smaller, dirtier and much hotter object may be undergoing energetic reactions which are not the same as fusion in our sun, for instance. If it is less pure, then much of that impurity would be iron and nickel - just like many meteorites. Notably these two metals are catalysts for LENR.

I would be willing to bet that not a single reputable astronomer will bring up this possibility - that the smallest stars could be powered by LENR instead of hot fusion, but can we rule out the possibility ? Is there a better explanation for the strange picture which has been presented above?

.