Bob,
What do you want the thermocouples for?  ie what temperature?
I have never used Niobium - Iridium thermocouples in the glass industry. We always used type S, and type B for more stable results over years duration, for things like furnace crowns at 1550C, but this had the disadvantage of smaller output. The platinum migrates to the Rh leg over time, but we found a minimum wire diameter was also necessary for long life due to crystallization of Pl.
AA