Presently I am using k-type thermocouples outside of their comfortable
range to 1200C.  Bob Cook was suggesting the Nb-Ir thermocouples in place
of k-type.  MFMP has used before a b-type thermocouple, but it was quite
expensive.  I would love to find an inexpensive (but controlled) s-type or
b-type thermocouple because they would be easy to integrate into my
system.  If the Nb-Ir thermocouple were readily available at low cost and
had a reasonable S/N I would welcome that too.  When you buy from Omega,
they have controls to insure the alloys are in spec. so as to control the
voltage vs. temp to a standard.  I would like the same assurance for
alternative thermocouple types too.  I also need lead wires to the junction
of about 40".