On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not think Fukushima has anything to do with the Toshiba bankruptcy.

Not directly.  Indeed Toshiba is playing an important role in the cleanup
and is likely profiting from that.

When Plant Vogtle units 1 and 2 were under construction, their cost was
projected to be $800M.  Then, March 28, 1979 TMI happened.  When I was with
the Power company in 1981, regulatory changes had driven the projected cost
to $2B.  I think the final cost was between 2 and 3 B.

Ironically, construction on units 3 and 4 was well underway when Fukushima
happened.  I doubt we can quantify the costs resulting from regulatory
changes directly related to that accident; but, it almost certainly has to
play a significant role.  And it has soured the market on future sales by
anyone.