From: Terry Blanton<mailto:hohlr...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 1:39 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com<mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: [Vo]:CNL seeks input on small modular reactor technology

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Jed Rothwell
<jedrothw...@gmail.com<mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
I do not think Fukushima has anything to do with the Toshiba bankruptcy.

Not directly.  Indeed Toshiba is playing an important role in the cleanup and
is likely profiting from that.

When Plant Vogtle units 1 and 2 were under construction, their cost was
projected to be $800M.  Then, March 28, 1979 TMI happened.  When I was with the
Power company in 1981, regulatory changes had driven the projected cost to $2B.
 I think the final cost was between 2 and 3 B.

Ironically, construction on units 3 and 4 was well underway when Fukushima
happened.  I doubt we can quantify the costs resulting from regulatory changes
directly related to that accident; but, it almost certainly has to play a
significant role.  And it has soured the market on future sales by anyone.