In particular, this paragraph seems to support my Balloon analogy for
absorbing most of the high energy emissions into the lattice.

    "...as in the Mossbauer effect, through a real effect, implicit in the
symmetry associated with rigid lattice translations that preserve periodic
order, it is possible for a lattice to “recoil” elastically, as a whole, in
response to a collision at a point. In the generalization of band theory
[19] to many-body, finite systems, the same symmetry is invoked and leads
to a huge degeneracy. Because indistinguishable particles are involved in
these systems, implicitly, additional degeneracies are also present. The
combined effects provide a means for particles to have appreciable overlap
at many, periodically displaced “points” (as discussed below),
simultaneously, for finite periods of time, in a manner that can result in
new forms of collisions in which momentum is transferred from the locations
where overlap can occur, rigidly to the lattice as a whole. When these
idealized forms of motion are initiated by collisions resulting from the
overlap between d’s in IBS’s, they can result in forms of coupling that can
cause nuclear fusion to take place in which small amounts of momentum and
energy from many different locations are transferred coherently to the
solid as a whole and subsequently transferred to many different particles
in a cooperative fashion. As a consequence, in agreement with experiment,
the associated nuclear energy is predicted to be released without
high-energy particles. "