In a fully open source project (such as some of the software development I am involved with) I assume the patent trolls are not able to jump in on the stuff that is published. I assume the danger is that they take the open source info and patent some/all of the as yet unpublished extensions, which will include extensions that are of value even if they dont fully know which ones they are.