Reference:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/246vysotskii.html

A sheet of mica near a radioactive source changes the gamma decay
probability

A year before announcing the microbial effect on 137Cs, Vysotskii and his
colleagues (from Moscow State University) made another announcement. That
was at the 10th International Conference on Cold Fusion (ICCF10, August
2003). Their paper, entitled “The theory and experimental investigation of
controlled spontaneous conversion nuclear decay of radioactive isotopes,”
can be downloaded from the library at <www.lenr-canr.org>. Let me summarize
the experimental part of that interesting paper.

A radioactive source -- 57Co -- (T=257 days decaying into 57Fe by
K-capture) -- was placed in front of a detector. Gamma rays of energies of
136.4 keV, 122 keV and 14.4 keV, emitted from the 57Fe nuclei (T=1 nsec)
were recorded. There is nothing new about this; the energy diagram of the
decay process is shown below.

I can easily imagine three gamma ray peaks in a multichannel analyzer. What
is new and interesting is the effect thin mica sheets on relative
intensities of the peaks. The authors discovered that the ratios of peak
intensities can be changed by introducing a 50-microns-thin mica sheet into
the region between the source and the detector. Labeling the areas below
the peaks as N14, N122 and N136 they characterized the effect of mica by
the ratio R, defines as N14.4/(N122+N136). By changing the distance X,
between the source and the mica sheet, they discovered that, R depends on
X, as illustrated below.

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/246figure2.jpg

Unfortunately, no bars of errors were assigned to individual data points
and nothing was stated about reproducibility of results. For example, is R
always equal to 0.82 when X=250 microns? And is R always equal to 0.88 when
X=420 microns? I will assume that observations were reproducible and that
the error bars were “too small to be shown.” To give the authors all
benefits of my doubt, I will also assume that control experiments were
performed to show that equivalent screens made from other materials had
negligible effect on the values of R at different X.

Taking these assumptions for granted I tentatively accept the main claim of
the paper: “In these experiments we discovered an inhibition of the
conversion channel for nuclear decay by 7–10%, and a change (increase) of
the total lifetime for the radioactive 57Fe* isotope by 6–9%, at the
optimal size X of the slot, in relation to spontaneous decay in free space
without the thin mica crystal.”

P.S.
This mica screening effect on 57Fe is not as strong as the bacterial effect
on 137Cs. But each of these effects, if confirmed by other researchers,
will show that the prevailing point of view has only a limited validity.
Emission of gamma rays is a nuclear effect and ability of influencing it by
screening the source with a thin sheet of mica (a mono-crystal) is not
consistent with the prevailing point of view. How can a crystal, situated
hundreds of microns from the atomic nuclei of the source influence what
happens in the nuclei? To answer this question one should be able to
understand the theoretical part of the paper. Unfortunately, i do not
understand it, due to my very limited background in theoretical physics.
But I would very much like to know what theoretical physicists think about
the paper. By skimming the first part of the paper I notice that the
explanation is based, among other things, on the concept of “zero-energy.”
The authors claim that experimental results confirm their theory.