Andrew,

The similarity and contrasts between your work on dense (small) hydrogen and
that of several others is truly remarkable. Many brilliant researchers are
looking at the shadows on Plato’s cave. A breakthrough is surely imminent.

Other scholarly papers would include those of Mills, Holmlid, Vav’ra, Mayer,
Dufour, Lawandy and several more -  all of whom have  insight and mathematical
formality … yet, are different in details and are generally neglected - not
given near enough credit by mainstream physics. The common denominator is that
hydrogen can become densified and this change radically alters the dynamics of
nuclear reactions – some of which may be strongly energetic but not real
fusion, after all.

There is evidence from Russia/Germany that paired protons collisions - which
almost never actually fuse – will nevertheless produce pions – as Holmlid
suggests. This is more meaningful in the context of Cerefolini’s “binuclear
atom” and provides the easy way to D fusion using the muon, as a decay product
of the pion.

In the end – Not much fusion yet excess energy due to pion mass being converted
into energy.  I wish the following  paper went a little deeper or there was a
followup  - “Near-threshold pion production in diproton reactions” by Sergey
Dymov for the ANKE collaboration

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/295/1/012095

Most of the pieces of the puzzle are out there…

Andrew Meulenberg  wrote: Jean-Luc Paillet and I are interested in this 2nd
link “A simple argument that small hydrogen may exist”
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269319303624, because we
think that 5 (out of 6) sections support our contention that deep-orbit
electrons are the theoretical basis for cold fusion…