View the current state of the world as a dystopian science-fiction book in progress. The plot line going forward: there was no easy cure found, an effective vaccine for example. Looking back from 50 years or so, we see carbon emission was reduced by 70%, world population reduced by 50% and globalization essentially ended by strict quarantine of most goods and people, with travel more than 100 km prohibited without special need. But creativity and VR-enabled social interaction flourish, and the advance of science continues unabated. Consumption-based capitalism is a thing of the past, replaced by careful management of resources and universal education in sustainability.

I'm not asserting this as a personal philosophy, merely an exploration of what-if. But the future sure ain't what it used to be.

Don't Panic!
AlanG