Harry
Did you notice that there is a kind of deep irony about "The Game or Life" and
the virus itself (any virus) on several levels, including the life and death of
Conway?
The virus, in general, like a cellular automaton in a computer applet, is not
"alive" in the normal sense but nevertheless can function and evolve in the
same way that complex life does - for its own survival. There is no free will
unless the choice can enhance survival.
If chemistry alone can present the outward appearance of discretion and intent
- there is almost no doubt that AI will evolve on its own to become
"conscious." Consciousness is the emergent property of free will.