Jones,

I agree with Conway`s argument that randomness is not the opposite of
determinism, but I find myself disagreeing with his assessment of quantum
mechanics which says if we have free will than so do electrons.

Free will is not free if it only exists to enhance survival. Certain
starting configurations of the game of life will survive and even multiply
while others will die out. Survival can happen without intent.

You say consciousness is an emergent property of free will. I would say it
is the other way around. Consciousness pervades everything, but it is
primitive which is different from higher levels of consciousness or
self-awareness.
Free will is a sign of self-awareness which emerges from consciousness.

Harry