By "domain" I mean something more like a world-view.
The mechanical philosophers of the 17th century gave modern physics the
world-view that matter is to be analysed as something
that is inactive, inanimate or dead. They also insisted that physics must
explain how things come about using only material and mechanical
notions of causation. Other types of causation such as formal and
teleological causation were characterised as "occult".

Harry