The Papp engine used radium or thorium to increase the sensitivity of the
electrode to electron extraction from the plasma. The alpha decay of Radium
biased the pickup electrode with a positive charge that would attract
electrons. This idea came from the well known technique used to dope
lightning rods with radium back in the 1800s to increase the ability of
these rods to attract lightning.  In the Papp engine, the application of an
electric arc increased the production of alpha decay right before the
feedback current was produced by the plasma.