Hi,
[snip]
>Robin <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au> wrote:
>

>> 5) Interstellar gas is not the only problem. A grain of sand or a pebble
>> would spell disaster.
>>

>You're gonna need a VERY high resolution radar and a laser.

Radar waves are too long for grains of sand. Vaporizing them with a laser will
be difficult because it has to happen
before the ship arrives at that point, and it's going so fast that a long
distance is implied.
Also don't even try flying through an interstellar dust cloud.

The real point I have been trying to make, is that space simply isn't empty at
long distances, so high speeds become
very difficult. Without high speeds, travel times are going to be very long.

I short, I think we should give up going to the stars physically, at least
directly. I suspect that highly advanced
civilizations don't actually travel at all, but rather use FTL communications
for "virtual" travel. IOW get a distant
civilization to send you a movie of their world, rather than actually going
there.

In such a galaxy, everyone would use similar FTL communications equipment,
effectively joined in a galaxy wide
"Internet", so the first thing an advanced civilization is going to try to
teach one that doesn't have it, is how to
build FTL comms gear.
Ever wondered what crop circles really are?

(AI Robots traveling at low speed can take millennia to travel between the
stars, programmed with the ability to
reproduce the plans using whatever local "canvas" is available.)