Thank you for posting the Mr. Wizard video.  It was an excellent
demonstration.

Here is a simply circuit which performs non-linear mixing of two waves.

http://spaz.org/~magi/grh/img/am-circuit-1.jpg

The diode is the non-linear circuit element which does the heterodyning.
This circuit is an "unbalanced mixer".  We used it in EE223 to create AM
signals.

Another way two waves can heterodyne is if they go through a coil wound on
a core which is saturated.