This subject may be common knowledge to many on this list, but I was unaware of
it. I was wondering if the lithium in the batteries we all use could be
replaced with sodium so I just did a web search (I, like many, no longer
google) and found there has been considerable research going on in that
direction.

Improvements in the structure of the "hard carbon" electrodes bodes well for
the future of this type of battery. Besides using one of the most common
elements on earth as opposed the far rarer lithium, it also won't need all of
the expensive and potentially toxic heavier metals used in lithium ion
batteries.

You can just look up "sodium ion battery' in Wikipedia and there are all sorts
of links for those who are interested.