Hi,
[snip]
>Anyway, probably sound is the best and cheapest mean to transfer the info
>on such a short distance (is the distance an open space or are there
>buildings?).

Open space.

>It would be easy to create a device that can separate sound
>based on frequency or loudness (Arduino hooked to a microphone). If it is
>only a bit it needs to identify low frequency from high frequency and you
>got your 0 and 1.

Actually a single fast beep would do the job.

Yes, this is one method I was considering. I'm trying to keep the transmitter
energy low, though for just one bit, the
power can be reasonably high, for a very short period.

Part of the problem if focusing the signal onto the receiver (both fixed). This
tends to complicate things. Have also
considered  a laser pointer.

Wireless tends to get too complicated. Normal WiFi is out of range.

I don't want to have to dig a 50m ditch to lay a wire, and I don't want a wire
running through the air.

A laser would actually be nice, if I could be sure that cheap detectors were
available. Would a laser pointer active a
solar cell sufficiently to create detectable signal at 50m?

Any one got one handy that they could try for me?
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au>