Brilliant ... and (in general) such gadgets as solar powered motion detectors
are such a bargain aren't they?

Isn't it amazing how the level of affordable sophistication in relatively
mundane products has increased - and at very low cost considering the
technology involved.  The progress in the most recent decade blows my mind.

The potential downside... This stuff would not have been possible even at 10x
the cost --- without China ...

MSF <foster...@protonmail.com> wrote:
 The solution to your problem has likely already been built. It's the remote
motion detector. You can buy these on ebay for around 20 dollars US. Just drop
the motion detector in the mailbox and it triggers a really loud alarm on the
receiving unit inside your house. I have used these in my back garden  to
detect sneaky racoons digging up my lawn. They claim a very long range, 400ft
to 900ft, but I'm not sure how far it would be enclosed in a mail box.