Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Prior to this there had been and remains a nascent movement around the
> idea that hydrogen made from wind or solar was going to be our savior on
> the energy front - despite the intractable poor economics involved in the
> manufacture and storage.

The economics are poor. I expect this technology will never catch up with
things like solar combined with battery storage. But I do not know if the
problems are "intractable." If we had no alternatives, the problems might
be tractable. But there is now no economic incentive to solve these
problems. In that sense, hydrogen from solar or wind resembles concentrated
solar power systems, such as Ivanpah or SEGS in the U.S., and various
installations in Morocco and Spain. If the cost of PV solar had not fallen
so drastically, concentrated solar power might have been competitive long
enough to develop it and lower the cost. It often happens that whatever
technology shows up first wins the competition just because it was first.
This is known as "incumbency." See p. 63:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf

Hydrogen might have been used as a method of storing solar or wind power.
Or as a method of transporting energy via pipeline from low population
windy places such as North Dakota to population centers. That might still
happen, but I doubt it. I do not think there is any chance that hydrogen
will be used for transportation with fuel cells. The Toyota Mirai car is an
example of that (https://www.toyota.com/mirai/). It will never work because
you would have to have hydrogen fuel stations everywhere. An electric car
can be charged at home. Or you can install a charger anywhere, because
electric power is available everywhere. But a hydrogen powered vehicle must
be refueled at a hydrogen gas station. It would cost huge amounts to build
enough hydrogen stations. I think the era of chemically fueled ground
transportation is rapidly coming to an end. It will all be battery powered
electric soon.