Everything we do involves gaseous exchanges with the atmosphere. We aren't
going to bring about an end to gaseous exchanges by replacing air breathing
vehicles with non-air breathing vehicles.

What we should be doing is researching and designing more sustainable air
breathing machines instead of willy nilly declaring such approaches off
limits because their pedigree was not so clean.  I don't think we should
abandon nascent technologies like hydrogen and synthetic fuels just because
they aren't currently cost effective. I mean if that were true then solar
cells should have been abandoned decades ago.

Harry