Terry Blanton <hohlr...@gmail.com> wrote:

On average, the human brain contains about 100 billion neurons and many

https://arxiv.org/abs/1906.01703#:~:text=On%20average%2C%20the%20human%20brain,many%20as%201%2C000%20trillion%20synapses
> .

I found different estimates of this in various different places. Your
source is somewhat higher than most. I think most say ~86 billion neurons
and ~7,000 synapse connections.

I do not know enough about ANN to guess how many synthetic synapse
connections there are from each artificial neuron to the others. I guess it
is not one bit per connection (32). A 32-bit floating point number is
10^-101 to 10^90, with precision of 7 decimal digits. That's a lotta
values! I do not know how the connections are made to other neurons. It is
not a physical connection the way it is in the brain. I suppose the longer
you run the training, the more each artificial neuron is tweaked up or down
in value.

I have read about these things for many years, but I have only surface
knowledge of how they work. Okay I probably know more than Members of
Congress, most newspaper reporters, or the linguist Noam Chomsky, who
spouts off about ChatGPT and many other subjects he does not understand.