My ESP failed me. Randi did respond. See attached. - JR

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

From: "James Randi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jed, the JREF has the American Physical Society – founded in 1899, and now at 43,000 members worldwide – who would supervise any test of “cold fusion.” Is that authority not enough for you…?

We at the JREF never assumed any expertise in this matter; as always, we refer to authoritative experts. Don’t put false claims in our mouth, please.

James Randi.

James Randi Educational Foundation
201 S.E. 12th Street
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA   33316-1815

      phone:  954-467-1112
  fax phone:  954-467-1660
  web page:  www.randi.org
       e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You wrote:

Jed, the JREF has the American Physical Society – founded in 1899, and now at 43,000 members worldwide – who would supervise any test of “cold fusion.” Is that authority not enough for you…?

How about the Physical Society of Japan? It was founded in 1877, and it publishes the Japanese Journal of Applied Physics (JJAP) -- their flagship journal. JJAP, as I mentioned, published the Iwamura paper and many others about cold fusion, including a special issue devoted to the subject.

Is that not authority enough for you? If not, why not? Have you or your experts read and critiqued the JJAP papers? Did they find any technical errors?

There are roughly 1,000 other peer-reviewed cold fusion papers in other leading journals, such as J. Electroanal. Chem. and Naturwiss. How many of them have your experts reviewed, and how of these reviews were published in the peer-reviewed literature? If you know of any members of the APS who have written critiques of cold fusion, please point them out to me. I have read hundreds of papers and books, including probably every skeptical paper. I do not know of any from the APS. In fact, I know of only three that passed peer-review. I do not think these papers have any merit, but I can give you a list and you can judge for yourself.

A critique of a peer-reviewed paper must be held to the same standard of rigor as the paper. Disbelief does not get a free pass. Many skeptics have said that the burden of proof is on cold fusion researchers to prove their point. As the editor of the Scientific American put it: "But it is not up to mainstream physicists to disprove LENR-CANR [cold fusion]; it is up to LENR-CANR's physicists to come up with convincing proofs. The burden of evidence is on those who wish to establish a new proposition."

Cold fusion researchers feel they have met this burden. Cold fusion experiments are based upon traditional instruments and techniques, such as calorimeters (most of them developed between the 1780 and 1840), autoradiographs (circa 1890), and conventional tritium detection and mass spectroscopy. Calorimetry is based upon the laws of thermodynamics. Since most skeptics agree that autoradiographs, the laws of thermodynamics and so on are valid, cold fusion researchers argue that the skeptics should agree that cold fusion experiments are valid, and that the burden of proof is on those who say these techniques and laws are inoperative.