Taking 'Vortex' more literally than most.
Here is a question though, is a vortex just rotation of fluids, a fluid moving in a circle which in in effect a single dimension of movement.
Or is it only when you have a fluid moving around, towards the center and down (or up?). (IMO that's a true vortex)

Which means that while there is no centripetal force like there is centrifugal force it seems that centripetal motion caused by the walls of the chamber tapering is required for a true vortex and IMO the interesting results vortexes can sometimes bring.

I do however believe that the vortex that golf balls, shark skin and according to Shauberger trout make is an important fluid dynamic principle and I don't know why more aircraft and Americas cup boats don't make use of it.

Of course I have seen an aircraft that did in Rex Research's info there was a 'vortex' plane which gained greater lift by flying with the top skin off the wings of a plane leaving recesses that created vortexes and life.
When the Mythbusters tried testing the efficiency of driving a Ute (I think in the US you might call it a flat bed truck?) with the back down or up they found that surprisingly up was more fuel efficient because it helped create a vortex, I think I remember hearing about one wind tunnel test where it went into the negative with the model craft apparently being propelled by it's shape much as Shauberger claimed with the trout, maybe with the mysteries of the vortex plus the effect of turning the air flow around it is possible, if so I would think that to maximize the effect you'd want the surface that has the wind moving with it to have as much air friction as possible.

As for the egg I think it is lifted because of Bernoulli's law.

On 9/28/06, Terry Blanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
On 9/27/06, Esa Ruoho <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

> would you guys be able to explain why exactly does the egg start
> spinning around its own axis, and then rise, because of the vortical
> movement caused by spinning a spoon at the top?

I believe this is caused by the effect named after Henri Marie Coanda.

Terry