OK, this is a little annoying. I sent the following
email before the other emails, which went through but
the following did not. Has anyone experienced this
problem? I am using Yahoo email.  Maybe Yahoo doesn't
want me anymore. :-(  I noticed the yahoo email Search
is also failing last few weeks.  Maybe a good time to
switch over to googles GMail. http://mail.google.com

Here's my email -->

Hi Robin,

I had a few comments regarding your conversation with
R. Stiffler -->

--- Robin van Spaandonk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> 2006 15:13:45
> -0800:
> Hi,
> [snip]
> >Robin! I'm at a loss?
> >
> >So you are saying that 'Carbon' has 0 {zero}
> background radiation? Like it
> >is at 0 K'
>
> No, what I was trying to say was that I didn't think
> you could
> measure an electrical signal coming from a carbon
> resistor (as
> opposed to a thermal signal). If you can, and there
> is an
> electrical signal, then you should be able to
> rectify it if you
> first pass it through a transformer to adequately
> increase the
> voltage.

You can measure an electrical signal from any
electrical resistance caused by thermal noise. It is
_extremely_ easy.

> >Why can not an object which radiates energy (we
> know all thing do) can not
> >be fed into an antenna, properly tuned and transmit
> energy?
>
> No antenna needed. The thing itself is already
> transmitting (and
> receiving) energy at IR frequencies.
> I just didn't think this manifested as an electrical
> current in
> the resistor (and I still don't).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22thermal+noise%22+%22boltzmann+constant%22&btnG=Google+Search

Thermal noise is old fact for EE's.  Very simple basic
stuff. :-)  The white noise voltage signals are there
and extend from as low a frequency as you have time to
extremely high frequencies.

> >Maybe your time is before the old carbon element
> phones where we turned a
> >crank to ring the phone of whom we were calling and
> often found that the
> >noise from the 'mouth piece' element was extreme an
> higher that our voice
> >signal?
>
> Since these used an external current (supplied by
> the hand cranked
> generator), I don't think this example really makes
> your point
> very well. Furthermore, I suspect that the noise you
> refer to was
> primarily generated by graphite particles making and
> breaking
> contact with one another under influence from the
> voice itself.
> IOW no voice -> no noise. However I think I have
> used such a
> device maybe once in my lifetime, so my memory isn't
> all that good
> on that score.

I just wanted to comment that all electrical
resistance generates thermal noise. Some resistors
such as Carbon generate more noise than others. Metal
film for example is amongst the best as far as quite
resistor is concerned.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance