Hi Paul,
[snip]
>If you place a load on
>the both air coils you can collect
>such energy. That's why pure inductors dissipate zero
>energy; i.e., energy goes in the
>inductor in the form of a magnetic field, but during
>the other half of the cycle such
>energy goes back to the source.

Here above your describe the storing of energy in the magnetic field surrounding
the magnets (coils), which is then released as the field collapses.
I think this is also the answer to your magnet question.
The energy was stored in the magnetic field around the magnets when they were
pulled apart. If they were never together in the first place, then when they
were made. It is repeatable. Once the magnets have been aligned, you have to
exert considerable force to unalign them, and in so doing, you store energy in
their respective fields, that is released again when they are allowed to
realign.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/