Michel Jullian wrote:
 > I agree with all the interesting comments below,
both Stephen's and yours, relative to
the unavoidable antenna aspect of a coil, which makes
it non purely inductive to some
extent when current varies with time.

 > However, may I remind you that my initial
statement, which you deemed 100% incorrect,
simply said that "keeping the current going" in an
isolated non-resistive current loop
would not consume energy.
 > In which case i is constant in time, so the
frequency f of the signal is zero, so the
wavelength lambda = c/f is infinite, so the radiation
resistance:

 > Rr= 31171 * A^2/lambda^2  (with A the area of the
circular loop) is zero.

 > So the power Rr*i^2 consumed in Rr is zero too.
This still doesn't make my loop consume
energy.

Your Quote,
---
"You keep telling us electromagnets consume energy,
true but that's only because the wires
are resistive. A non-resistive current-loop would not
consume any energy to keep the
current going."
---

LOL ... this is hopeless. Again -->  You state the
only consumed energy in an
electro-magnetic is because the wires are resistive.
Besides the fact you missed other
factors such as radiation resistance lets focus on the
fact that a magnet attracted and
accelerating toward the wire resistive current loop
would *indeed* induce an opposing
voltage, which would consume energy. The gained KE
comes from the wire resistive current loop.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.