Harry Veeder wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> If M-theory were even 1/10 as negative as you feel then the physics
>> community has fallen because a great deal of the top physicists around
>> the world are working on it.  It does indeed predict and seems
>> promising, which is why they are spending so much time and money on it.
>

> I would call it a church with a lot of power.
> e.g. The catholic church spent so much time and money building cathedrals in
> the middle ages.
>
> Harry

Silliness. Nearly every great physicist alive appreciates M-theory, from Stephen Hawking to Dr. Michio Kaku. Stephen Hawking said in a recent interview -->

February 8, 2006:
Question: "What do you think is the greatest unanswered question in modern physics?" Answer by Stephen Hawking: "We think M-theory is the ***ultimate theory*** of the universe, but we understand it only at certain limits, where some quantities are zero or very small. It is as if we had fitted together the edge pieces in a jigsaw puzzle, but we still have a gaping hole in the middle. And of course it may be that we find we have the wrong picture. We have learned to expect the unexpected." Question: "How do you think our everyday life will be affected, if string theory, which is discussed in your book A Briefer History of Time, or the more advanced version of string theory, M-theory, is proven to be true?" Answer by Stephen Hawking: " We already know the laws that govern nature in all but the most extreme conditions, such as the origin of the universe. When we understand string theory, we will know how the universe began. It won't have much effect on how we live, but surely it is important to understand where we come from, and what we can expect to find as we explore the universe."

Regards,
Paul Lowrance