That's how many electrostatic machines work such as the Wimshurst.

There are 3 different things, voltage, field strength and charge imbalance,
in this case the Voltage goes up, however the field strength goes down
(though is still considerable and covers more area) and the charge imbalance
obviously remains the same.

It is also possible to increase the electric field density without changing
the voltage or net charge imbalance by use of a point.

On 2/6/07, Michel Jullian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Nice! It's pretty obvious why voltage increases when you think of it as
variable gap capacitor with a constant charge, q=C*V, if you lower C by
increasing the gap then V necessarily increases.

> Does gluing a needle to the small pan make it possible to pull a longer
> spark?

The answer is yes obviously (the needle is sharper than your knuckle) but
there is no need to glue it to the small pan, you can hold the needle in
your discharging hand (whichever side of the discharge gap you put the
pointed end is fine)

Also I don't see why it would make a difference whether the large pan is
grounded or not. Simplest is to rest it on the table without further ado.

You didn't say, but I imagine the bottom larger pan must be upside
down  :)

Michel