Do-it-yourself oil and gas wells from algae while lowering atmospheric CO2.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/feb2007/2007-02-09-09.asp

"FY 2008 Budget Cut $100 Million for Coal to Liquid Fuel Project"
"The proposed plant would convert 1.7 million tons of waste coal per year into
60 million gallons of non-petroleum based liquid fuel. Forty million gallons of
the total is planned to be converted into zero-sulfur diesel fuel and 20
million gallons into naptha, a gasoline production feedstock.
"We are doing far more than simply funding research," Governor Rendell said.
"We have assembled a coalition of government and private businesses that will
purchase nearly all the product generated by the plant for the next 10 years,
guaranteeing that this new technology will have the opportunity to survive and
compete in the energy marketplace."
U.S. Senator Arlen Specter and Congressman Tim Holden, whose district
encompasses the plant, have worked toward development of this project for
nearly a decade. Governor Rendell promised to work with both of them, along
with newly-elected U.S. Senator Robert Casey Jr. and the rest of Pennsylvania’s
congressional delegation, to coordinate a united, bipartisan effort to restore
funding for the plant.
In addition to creating liquid fuels to reduce imports of foreign oil, the
proposed plant would - at no cost to the taxpayers - reclaim dangerous
abandoned mine sites and remove waste coal piles that pollute waterways.
Pennsylvania has over two billion tons of waste coal, and more than 180,000
acres of abandoned mine lands left over by the unregulated mining practices of
the past. "