Michel Jullian wrote:

> Fresh water expanses offer less surface area than oceans obviously, and
the minerals they contain couldn't be depleted indefinitely as they are
needed to grow food.

> As for methanization we would have to make sure the absorbed carbon
doesn't leak back to the atmosphere as a worse GHG than CO2!

> Michel

Don't ignore the MIT Algae Farms from Power Plant Stack Emissions, for
sequestering CO2- too, Michel.

CO2-too sounds like the little engine that could.   :-)

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-01-10-algae-powerplants_x.htm

"Fed a generous helping of CO2-laden emissions, courtesy of the power
plant's exhaust stack, the algae grow quickly even in the wan rays of a New
England sun. The cleansed exhaust bubbles skyward, but with 40% less CO2 (a
larger cut than the Kyoto treaty mandates) and another bonus: 86% less
nitrous oxide."

"After the CO2 is soaked up like a sponge, the algae is harvested daily.
>From that harvest, a combustible vegetable oil is squeezed out: biodiesel
for automobiles. Berzin hands a visitor two vials — one with algal
biodiesel, a clear, slightly yellowish liquid, the other with the dried
green flakes that remained. Even that dried remnant can be further
reprocessed to create ethanol, also used for transportation."

"One key is selecting an algae with a high oil density — about 50% of its
weight. Because this kind of algae also grows so fast, it can produce
15,000 gallons of biodiesel per acre. Just 60 gallons are produced from
soybeans, which along with corn are the major biodiesel crops today."

"For his part, Berzin calculates that just one 1,000 megawatt power plant
using his system could produce more than 40 million gallons of biodiesel
and 50 million gallons of ethanol a year. That would require a 2,000-acre
"farm" of algae-filled tubes near the power plant. There are nearly 1,000
power plants nationwide with enough space nearby for a few hundred to a few
thousand acres to grow algae and make a good profit, he says."

Fred

BD,