I see your point Nick, harvesting algae using a floating horizontal fine-mesh
seine
as an algae pond to sequester atmospheric CO2 followed by charring the algae is
a seine idea.
Since Michel is closer to the Seine.... and you are closer to Branson.  :-)

The millions of acres in the US that are in "set aside acreage" that are
brush-hogged so the farmer can collect up to $30.00/acre (or are
brush-hogged to keep the place looking good) that oxidize releasing
CO2, could be covered with a fiberglass mat or such to generate "slash-and-char
bio-char in situ.

Fred

http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/geowissenschaften/bericht-55516.html

"Slash-and-burn, which is commonly used in many parts of the world to prepare
fields for crops, releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
Slash-and-char, on the other hand, actually reduces greenhouse gases, Lehmann
said, by sequestering huge amounts of carbon for thousands of years and
substantially reducing methane and nitrous oxide emissions from soils.

"The result is that about 50 percent of the biomass carbon is retained,"
Lehmann said. "By sequestering huge amounts of carbon, this technique
constitutes a much longer and significant sink for atmospheric carbon dioxide
than most other sequestration options, making it a powerful tool for long-term
mitigation of climate change. In fact we have calculated that up to 12 percent
of the carbon emissions produced by human activity could be offset annually if
slash-and-burn were replaced by slash-and-char."

In addition, many biofuel production methods, such as generating bioenergy from
agricultural, fish and forestry waste, produce bio-char as a byproduct. "The
global importance of a bio-char sequestration as a byproduct of the conversion
of biomass to bio-fuels is difficult to predict but is potentially very large,"
he added. "