Michel Jullian wrote.

> Charring works I agree but it retains only 50 percent of the biomass
carbon.

Right the pyrolysis creates CO + H2 + pyroligneous acids etc that reacts
with the atmospheric O2
which I found with my early biomass work was enough to self-power  a unit
that augered
biomass through a stainless steel tube heated to 1200-1400 F with the off
gas and acids wet scrubbed.

>Half-charred idea: how about pressing the micro-algae for their oil and
then charring the press-cake to make charcoal?
> If pressing retains 60% of the carbon, the whole process could sequester
80% of the captured carbon!

Vacuum or inert gas (N2) pyrolysis can do that.

> BTW, are we set on high yield salt water micro-algae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algaculture for the CO2 capture?

It's hard to grow seaweed in livestock watering tanks, and water
evaporation (about 12,000-15,000 gallons/acre-day)
makes large desert algae ponds rather impractical

> It seems less fuss than macro-algae (seaweeds), and can be grown anywhere
on the ocean surface not just in shallow areas.

The use of floated "seine" ponds in fresh or sea water would make large
scale harvesting more practical. No?

> As I said if it turned out to be more economical we could also harvest
the open sea phytoplankton
> (which we could re-seed to help natural reproduction), using floating
multi-km2 fine-mesh nets
>.
> Wouldn't it be nice if a self-powered harvesting/processing supertanker
departing empty from a middle east port could arrive full at a US port? :)

Lets get Nick Palmer across the "Chunnel" from you to ask Sir Richard
Branson that question.

Fred
>.
> Michel

:-)

> > The millions of acres in the US that are in "set aside acreage" that are
> > brush-hogged so the farmer can collect up to $30.00/acre (or are
> > brush-hogged to keep the place looking good) that oxidize releasing
> > CO2, could be covered with a fiberglass mat or such to generate
"slash-and-char
> > bio-char in situ.
> >
> > Fred

http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/geowissenschaften/bericht-555
16.html

> > "Slash-and-burn, which is commonly used in many parts of the world to
prepare fields for crops, releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
Slash-and-char, on the other hand, actually reduces greenhouse gases,
Lehmann said, by sequestering huge amounts of carbon for thousands of years
and substantially reducing methane and nitrous oxide emissions from soils.

> > "The result is that about 50 percent of the biomass carbon is
retained," Lehmann said. "By sequestering huge amounts of carbon, this
technique constitutes a much longer and significant sink for atmospheric
carbon dioxide than most other sequestration options, making it a powerful
tool for long-term mitigation of climate change. In fact we have calculated
that up to 12 percent of the carbon emissions produced by human activity
could be offset annually if slash-and-burn were replaced by
slash-and-char."

> > In addition, many biofuel production methods, such as generating
bioenergy from agricultural, fish and forestry waste, produce bio-char as a
byproduct. "The global importance of a bio-char sequestration as a
byproduct of the conversion of biomass to bio-fuels is difficult to predict
but is potentially very large," he added. "

> > Nick Palmer wrote:
> >>

> >> Here's three more websites (particularly the first one) that extol the
apparently huge benefits of bio-char charcoal in > soils. If the char was
created from pyrolysed algae that was fattened on fossil fuel sourced

http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/terra_preta/TerraPretahome.htm