Michel Jullian wrote:

What's a few hundred years between friends? ;-)

How long would it take by harvesting algae on a large scale then?

I do not know. However:

We have no simple method of harvesting ocean algae, whereas people have been harvesting trees for thousands of years. (It would be simple to harvest algae from ponds or tanks on land.)

Growing trees brings many other benefits, besides fixing the global warming problem. For example, it prevents erosion and helps to feed people and wildlife. I doubt there are many benefits to growing algae. Even if you can develop a method of harvesting it to use it as fuel the energy overhead would be large. I doubt many people or farm animals would want to eat the stuff.