John Berry wrote:

Two things, for one there are many uses for wood, as long as it's not burnt why not make use of what you can rather than just burying.

Of course. I meant we should bury the wood after we make use of it. For example, with paper pulp that can not longer be recycled, or with wood from torn-down buildings.

And secondly the rate of pine growth varies greatly, see:
<http://www.forestenterprises.co.nz/new/afi/nzplantation.htm>http://www.forestenterprises.co.nz/new/afi/nzplantation.htm

Yes. I tried to find an average value for different species. I believe the amount of carbon does not vary as much because the fast-growing species, such as pine, tend to have light wood.