Mmm, growing the algae without harvesting them _could_ be sufficient (pending
calculations), but only for a one off operation: present excess CO2 sequestered
into the living algae biomass increase, period. Could win the prize though.

What surprises me most with this scheme is that one should need to bring
fertilizers into the oceans, which already contain all the minerals you can
dream of in amply sufficient concentrations. The increased growth action of the
dust, if confirmed, might not be one of fertilization, maybe it increases
photosynthesis by reflecting/diffusing the sunlight rather.

Anyway, back to the harvesting hypothesis, whether or not we can stimulate
growth one way or another.

I have an idea for that, it's a bit... well here it is anyway. Highly efficient
phytoplankton harvesters + phytoplankton -to-oil converters already exist
actually, they are called whales :))) I guess you see what I am coming to:
instead of harvesting the algae ourselves we would heavily repopulate the
oceans with herds of whales (porn movies -or audio clips rather- featuring
actors of the right species like they successfully use to repopulate pandas in
China??), the whales would harvest the algae and process them into whale oil,
and then we would harvest the whales and sequester the oil, plus use some of it
as fuel.

Sounds awful and cruel I realize (reminds me of that whale briefly brought into
existence together with the petunia pot in The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the
Galaxy, was that in the film Fred?), but... if our own survival is at stake,
well... your thoughts welcome :)

Michel