On 2/21/07, Harry Veeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jed Rothwell wrote:

> Harry Veeder wrote:

That is my point. The building was designed to withstand
a severe _horizontal_ blow, but it was not designed to withstand
a severe _downward_ blow. The inability of the structure
to withstand a vertical shock would make its future demolition
a breeze.

The top portion of each tower hit the ground a little faster than if they
were dropped in freefall because there isn't the head on air resistance.

If you took two such tower top pieces and dropped one in free fall and one
on a building, we would expect the one dropped on the building to drop
slower than freefall because it has to do work, quite a bit of it to turn
the building below into dust.

This actually brings the subject back on topic, Free Energy!
It's the only way to explain it, it was definitely giving energy to the
structure below, but it didn't lose any KE!

Along the same lines, having the
> airplanes fire missiles into the building before they struck would be
> ridiculous. The energy release from a missile is trivial compared to
> the kinetic energy from an airplane, and that kinetic energy is far
> smaller than the energy release from the burning jet fuel. The fuel
> has enough potential energy to drive the aircraft  for hours at close
> to the speed of sound! Firing a missile first would be like hitting
> someone with a pillow first and then hitting him with a Mack Truck
> going at 60 mph. Why bother with the pillow?
>
> A missile is effective that it can be guided to the target and it
> causes intense damage to the machine it strikes.
>
> - Jed

Harry