Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Jed, you have said more than once that (nearly) all the expert engineers /knew/ it would collapse.
That's absolutely not what I read in the mainstream press reports . . .

These reports were premature, and wrong. Later interviews and testimony by experts revealed that most of them expected the Towers to fall.

: The buildings were capable of taking a hit from a good sized jet with a certain amount of jet fuel on board.

No, they were "designed" for circa 1970 jets coming in for a landing at LaGuardia at low speed. Modern jets are much larger and these were going much faster than landing speed. Actually, little serious consideration was paid to this possibility, and modern computer modeling was not available. Quoting NIST:

"As stated in Section 5.3.2 of NIST NCSTAR 1, a document from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) indicated that the impact of a [single, not multiple] Boeing 707 aircraft was analyzed during the design stage of the WTC towers. However, NIST investigators were unable to locate any documentation of the criteria and method used in the impact analysis and, therefore, were unable to verify the assertion that “… such collision would result in only local damage which could not cause collapse or substantial damage to the building.…”

The capability to conduct rigorous simulations of the aircraft impact, the growth and spread of the ensuing fires, and the effects of fires on the structure is a recent development. Since the approach to structural modeling was developed for the NIST WTC investigation, the technical capability available to the PANYNJ and its consultants and contactors to perform such analyses in the 1960s would have been quite limited in comparison to the capabilities brought to bear in the NIST investigation.

The damage from the impact of a Boeing 767 aircraft (which is about 20 percent bigger than a Boeing 707) into each tower is well documented in NCSTAR 1-2. . . ."

Whether what actually happened was a big enough wallop to bring them down was _not_ _obvious_, to _anyone_.

As I said, several experts later testified that they knew the buildings would fall. They were also interviewed in the Discovery Channel documentaries.

Opinions as to whether they would fall or not were little more than guesses, as far as I can tell.

Incorrect. These were carefully considered conclusions rendered by world-class experts. Actually, they were surprised that the towers held up as long as they did.

Again, I seriously doubt your repeated assertions that "all the experts" were convinced the buildings _WOULD_ collapse after the planes hit.

I suggest you read the official documents from NIST and elsewhere.

That's tantamount to saying the people running the show on the ground really screwed up bigtime by not evacuating, and I don't think it's called for . . .

Not just tantamount; that is exactly what the experts asserted. One of them, from Britain, says he tried frantically to contact the New York City police to tell them to evacuate, but he could not get through. There is no question that the people "running the show really screwed up bigtime." If they had panicked less than listened more carefully to expert advice, they would have known that the police and firemen could do nothing and should be ordered out of the building. The police and firemen died in vain. Particularly after the first building collapsed no one should have doubted the other would soon fall.

We do not like to think about heroes dying in vain. It makes an awful tragedy seem even worse, somehow. The history books seldom mention such outcomes, even though they are common. For example, I read a careful analysis of major Allied airborne troops deployments in the invasion of Europe -- at D-Day, the crossing of the Rhine River, and Market Garden. The analysis shows that they contributed little or nothing to the operations. These operations would probably have succeeded (or failed, in the latter case) without the airborne troops. Tremendous resources were used to supply these troops with enough aircraft, fuel and equipment, and the troops suffered disproportionately high casualties, but alas, they were not very effective.